This tool helps a school to explore whether and in what ways there are deeply-rooted structures and behaviour patterns within the organisation that are preventing it from changing and growing. It also helps assess the school’s capacity for change and innovation.
The assessment tool is divided into seven areas or organisational competences:
- Positive Holding Environment – how leadership and authority works and how risk-taking and change are handled
- Groupishness – how work groups operate and interact
- Organisational well-being – how emotional intelligence is applied in the school
- Systems orientation – the open-ness of the school to innovation and how it interacts with external systems
- Normalisation – how the school balances conformity with rule-breaking
- Evaluation – how the school defines its vision and how this vision is implemented and assessed
- Learning Organisation – the school’s capacity for critical review and reflection and how it learns to do better
To see how these competences work and to find out where your school is positioned in each area, take the organisational self-assessment by clicking any one of the THEMES. It doesn’t matter which one you choose.
For best results, the assessment should be done in one session, covering all seven competence areas. To do the whole thing, it will take around 45 minutes. However, if you don’t have enough time to do all seven in one go, then you can always come back to the tool at another time and pick up where you left off.